Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Beeney Blogging?

For a while I've thought of blogs as someone's excuse just to talk about themselves. Their Facebook status updates, just a lot longer and more detailed. Although I have been one to update my status every so often, the people that do it with every breath, really bother me. No one cares about your bad day at work and the fact that you are having a glass of wine. We've all been there. No one cares that your car broke down the highway and you're waiting for Triple A. I certainly don't care that your water just broke (Yes I actually saw that yesterday- in addition to her every second update on her belly bump, the kids head facing the wrong way, her last day at work, the soreness in her feet, the EPIDURAL DETAILS- her latest update). So the idea of a blog didn't come easily, to say the least.

Just a few weeks ago, while reading my sister-in-laws overdue blog post about Plum Crunch for the 13th time, I realized I was missing her regular updates. It was then I realized I actually enjoyed reading up on people's "stuff", and thought "Hey, I could actually do this". So I made the official decision to actually go through with it a few days ago. The next issue was coming up with some creative name for my blog. Everyone that was any good at blogging had a cute catchy blog name (Failed Attempts at Being Fabulous, Kathy is Abroad, Escaping the Rat Race, the list goes on). Considering myself one of the least creative people on the planet, this proved to be difficult. So I enlisted the help of close friends and family to try and come up with something. Blogging with Beeney was the first suggestion (thank you Min), Treks in the City (among others) from my creative and artistic-minded brother, and the best I could come up with was Newlywed in New York? Epitomy of lame and boring. Leave it to my husband to list off about 5 in a matter of minutes, and come up with the winner, Running Erins. I felt this one fit the bill the best and am not in the least bit surprised it came from Joe.

Anyway this blog is my attempt at bringing a little "life" to my life. Don't get my wrong, I love my life. I love my family, my husband, my friends, I even love my job (as much as you can "love" your job). I just felt I needed to do something different, a new hobby to document my life. An online diary, if you will. A place to share some of my favorite people, places, and things. I haven't decided what my first real post would be, this one's more like a disclaimer. I imagine with the holidays right around the corner, I'll do something festive, but who knows.

All I ask from you lovely readers is to not judge, as I have. I am not a good writer. I don't claim to be. I sucked at Creative Writing, and have always been a solid "B" student in English. So please excuse the bad grammar, the commas in the wrong places, or god forbid a spelling typo. This is not about the actual writing on the blog. It's just me having fun, writing about stuff I care about- the real life stuff.... You know- food, restaurants, fashion, parties, my wonderful city, the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and Harry Potter.

Now if I can only figure out how to insert pictures and make this slightly more interesting......

4 comments:

  1. three reasons why i'm commenting so quickly:
    1) i'm bored at work
    2) i miss our ghetto "instant messaging" (aka email) conversations
    3) i feel soooo far away from you and miss you!!

    anyway, i've been toying with the idea of starting a blog as well (even have a name for it!), but alas have been too lazy thus far. shocker. until i get off my ass and get it going, i'll indulge in the stories you share and shed a tear for missing the wonderful experience of living in the city. miss you tons and congrats on this new venture!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!! So happy you're doing one...it's something I've always wanted to do, but never thought I had enough interesting things to write about (and thought I was a crappy writer). Can't wait to read it everyday!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. as i was walking home from my first exam, i got your email and have to admit the first thought that crossed my mind was: blogging = 'wachstein'-esque self-indulgence (ask joey if you aren't up to date on the Wachsteins) that being said, your disclaimer was great and i give you a lot of credit for taking the initiative to do this. not only am i not judging you, but i am looking forward to having another method of procrastination to add to my repertoire :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chibs- get going on your blog. You know I'd be a follower. I need to know all the goings-on in the Mile High city. Kate- glad you understand my purpose... its also my own way to procrastinate to life. I promise to try and keep this interesting and as up to date as humanly possible.

    ReplyDelete