Thursday, February 3, 2011

Op Ed- Idol Obsessed



So this is my first official Op Ed piece. According to Wikipedia (one of my favorite sites), Op Ed is explained as "An abbreviated from opposite the editorial page (though often mistaken for opinion-editorial)". But because I'm lower brow, I'm using this term to mean opinion editorial for the purposes of my blog... just go with it newspaper readers!

For those of you that know me well, you might be wondering how in the hell have I not expressed an opinion yet on this thing... since I so do love the art of the Soap Box. Well I'm not really sure.  But I know for now, we're calling this the Op Ed section of my blog, because I just know there will be many more moments when this section will be necessary.

On to the goods..... I have been an American Idol fan since season one, still having an appreciation for Kelly Clarkson to this day. I love everything about that show- the try outs, the laughable crazies thinking they can really-truly sing and being devastated and angry when they tell them to give up their dream, sharing in the sad and the happy tears, the voting, and most of all..... the judges.

I enjoyed watching Randy use the term DAWG and getting a tad ghetto with 15 year olds, Paula slurring her speech and trying to guess what pills she had taken before the taping of the show, and most of all Simon's amazing ability to jump RIGHT into my brain and say everything I'm thinking about every single performance.... except for all those nails-on-a-chalkboard screams by Adam Lambert that all the judges thought sounded like a beautiful melody, I will never understand that. I loved that my former coworkers from Robert Half felt it important enough to do an "Idol Pool" last year.... with more than 30 participants, money involved, and weekly pics- it was more exciting for me than March Madness.

So when I heard last season that Simon would not be returning, I instantly thought... BOYCOTT (which coincidentally was the first thing I said- and did- when I heard The Situation from Jersey Shore was set to make 5 million last year. I just cannot condone that). I really felt the show was over, its lost its main star, the guy who speaks the truth, its authenticity, the stuff that makes it "legit". I was really disappointed that essentially it was going to a big steaming pile of shit.



Let me just say I've always liked Aerosmith, ever since my brother bought the Pump album and I heard Janie's Got a Gun (which still coincidentally is a song I never skip on my Ipod), ever since Alicia Silverstone made her debut in the Crazy and Cryin' videos, and ever since my besties and I went to see them in concert at The Coors Amphitheater in San Diego circa 2002- greatest concert ever? Perhaps... right after Pearl Jam at Boston Garden in 1994, just when they were at their prime. I digress. So I love Steven Tyler, crazy, cool rock star. I just wasn't sure how I would feel seeing him critique the little tykes on AI. Seemed kind of random.

JLo, I've had a very love-hate relationship with since 1998. I loved that she got her start as a Fly Girl, thought she was quite stunning, and "Waiting for Tonight" made me want to shake my JLo-sized ass in 1999. Yes, I'm serious. Then somewhere along the line she became someone I couldn't avoid. She was ALL over the damn radio, starring in Domestic Violence movies kicking her abusive husband's ass, kissing Matthew McConaughey in cheesy chic flicks, trying to be "hip hop" and calling her album "On the 6". I'msure it was Jenny From the Block that really put me over the edge. Really, you're hard core now? Enough's enough. It was then I called it quits with JLo. So when I heard she also signed on to be a judge for AI, I thought Ugh. They sold out.
That is until I begrudgingly watched the first episode of Season 10.

I'm essentially obsessed. I can't get enough of Steven's coolness, the massive feather earring, and his screams that actually DO sound like a beautiful melody. I wait patiently every week to see if JLo can top last week's gorgeous glam look (Where does she get those fabulous extensions done? Who is her makeup artist? I need to know). She also actually seems to know what she's talking about. I love the chemistry between the 3 of them. They really seem like they are honestly having a great time. They thoroughly enjoy- almost to the point of tears- when someone comes in and can really sing. But most of all, I LOVE the judging. They all seem to really get it. JLo is sweet and funny and makes the greatest facial expression when a crazy comes on- seemingly the exact same face I'm making at that same moment.  And best of all, Randy has become a complete comedian. I find myself getting goose bumps one moment, tears streaming down my face the next, and hysterically laughing in between. What more can you ask for from a television show?

I love the contestants that have made it to Hollywood so far, their stories (or their voices) literally tug at your heart. One guy who got engaged and 2 months before the wedding, his fiance was in a horrible car accident. She is now in a wheelchair, suffering major brain damage, yet he continues to stand by her, despite the fact that they haven't been able to marry yet. I think his exact words were "what kind of man would I be if I left her at the time when she needed me the most?".
Cue sobs. Major Niagra Falls people.

Or John Wayne (yes, thats really his name), the momma-lovin cowboy from rural Texas with a huge genuine heart, deep country voice, and who's not so bad to look at either. No pictures I found will do him justice.


 Lauren Alaina, who's parents wedding song was none other than Aerosmith's "I Dont Wanna Miss a Thing"- she belted it out right in front of Mr Tyler with no shame and nailed it! The next Idol?


And of course, Jacee Badeaux- the adorable 15 year old, that looks like a friend's unassuming, chubby little brother that you never noticed, singing "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" like he was born to. You instantly love this kid!

This list goes on, I'm sure I'm forgetting some of my favorites, but you get the idea. 


Moral of the story, if you haven't watched this show before, now is a good time to tune in and be thoroughly entertained... while also finding a new love for JLo. 


Bring it on Season 10!

No comments:

Post a Comment